The Parish of Lynwood-Langford-Ferndale is located at 2A Kenton Street Lynwood with the parish Centre, church and adjoining hall, dedicated to St Augustine of Canterbury. The church inside is traditional in design yet with a modern style and look based on the architecture of the 1980’s. The worship is traditional Anglican with hymns and choruses as the music for worship coming from ‘Songs of Fellowship’. The location of the church while near Lynwood shopping Centre is set one street back from the main thoroughfare.
The congregation ranges in age generally from 40 to 80 years although there are some children who attend the Sunday service when brought by their parents or grandparents. The parish population is relatively static, although there are new families now moving into the area as older houses are demolished and newer houses and/or units are replacing them. The schools in the surrounding area are Bannister Creek Primary School, Parkwood Primary School, Brookman Primary School, Lynwood Senior High School.
* A parish that is filled with family love and faithful people.
* A parish that is truly welcoming, friendly and caring of each other.
* Stability and strength in leadership, both clerical and lay.
* Strong sense of Anglican identity, shown through the traditional Anglican Services and music.
* A resilient and strong core of faithful people form the basis of this congregation.
* Support available for people seeking to join the congregation.
* Bible study groups, Mother’s union, ABM Auxiliary, Poverty presenters.
* Sunday and midweek Eucharist.
* The general aging of the congregation and associated health problems affects energy levels and parish finances.
* It is important that the congregation does not become too inward looking.
* There is a danger that the congregation could cease to look for missional opportunities or new ways to grow.
* Collegiate ministry needs to be worked at and energy needs to be continuously applied to this style of ministry.
* Being relevant as the traditional church in the community in today’s world is a challenge that needs to continually be considered
The church in the community:
* Services and pastoral care at Howard Solomon Aged care facility.
* Active participation and office bearing in the YouthCARE committee.
* World day of prayer supported.
* Christians Against Poverty Budgeting Seminars
* Participation in Christmas Community events.
*Supporter of Anglican Board of mission.
*Local Women’s refuge supported.
Aspirations and vision for the future:
* To build up the congregation numerically, spiritually and financially.
* To reach out to the wider community being a contact point for welfare agencies.
* Invite ‘seeker’ or new Christians to an occasional service with a freer and more relaxed style of worship.
* To encourage and mentor more young people and young families.
* To host Christians Against Poverty budgeting and practical cooking courses to enable participants to manage their own finances and living more effectively.
* To advertise more widely the presence and services offered at St Augustine’s.
* To have a closer contact with the local school communities.
* To increase the level of financial giving to a more sustainable level.
* Further develop relations with multi-cultural groups such as the Perth Malayalee Congregation.
Fr Clive McCallum
Priest in Charge,
Parish of Lynwood-Langford-Ferndale
18th May 2016